Nothing ruins a vacation faster than sore feet. That’s why Stan’s carries hundreds of comfortable shoes, slip-ons, and sandals that are perfect for walking all day long.
There are a few traits that most good walking shoes have in common. When shopping for your every-mile companions, look for the following:
- Stability: Look for shoes with a snug (but not too tight!) heel. Many shoes also have built-in features that align your steps to prevent pronation, which is an added bonus.
- Durability: Look for sturdy outsoles with good tread and uppers made of strong but flexible fabric. We especially love mesh membrane uppers since they’re very breathable!
- Cushioning: The insole and midsole of your shoe should be soft and comfortable for your foot. The more shock that your shoe absorbs, the less sore your feet will be at the end of the day.
- Roominess: As you walk, your feet will naturally swell and expand. There should be a little extra room in your toe box to accommodate this.
Wherever your travels take you, from around the world to your own neighborhood, these ten walking styles will keep you comfy and stylish.
Best Athletic Shoes for Walking
Best New Balance Shoe for Walking: New Balance 990v6
The 990 has been a favorite of New Balance runners and walkers for decades. The recently released v6 includes some exciting new features that make it one of our favorite walking shoes of the season!
Here’s what we love about the 990v6:
- The upper is made from a combination of mesh and suede, which provides breathability for your feet and longevity for the shoe.
- The v6 features New Balance’s famous FuelCell and ENCAP technologies for the first time. FuelCell foam energizes your walk while ENCAP cushioning supports your feet, making all of your steps both efficient and comfortable.
- These shoes are part of New Balance’s MADE collection, which means that 70% or more of the shoe was manufactured in the United States. You’ll support both your feet and local manufacturing, and feel good inside and out!
The New Balance 990v6 is available for men and women in store and online.
Best Brooks Shoe for Walking: Brooks Glycerin 20
Brooks is known for crafting shoes with one thing in mind: You! All of their shoes are thoughtfully made for your happiness and comfort, and the Brooks Glycerin 20 is certainly no exception.
Here’s what we love about the Glycerin 20:
- The outsole of this shoe provides great traction. It’s made of blown rubber and has a slightly wider platform than other Brooks styles, so it’s durable, secure, and smooth.
- The fit of this shoe is excellent from heel to toe, but we especially love the roominess in the toe box. There’s plenty of room for your forefeet to breathe and expand without the shoe feeling too loose.
- If you want additional support, Stan’s also carry the Glycerin GTS 20, which features the added support of GuideRails technology. It’s important to give your feet the right amount of support, so having two options to choose from is a big pro of the Glycerin style!
The Brooks Glycerin 20 is available for men and women in store and online.
Best HOKA Shoe for Walking: HOKA Clifton 9
For everyone who loves HOKA’s signature cushioning, the release of the Clifton 9 is cause for celebration. It’s one of our best-selling HOKA walking shoes for a reason!
Here’s what we love about the Clifton 9:
- Even with the addition of extra cushioning, it’s super lightweight. Walking shoes can often be bulky or heavy, but the Clifton 9 is anything but. If it weren’t for the amazing cushioned support, you might not think you were wearing shoes at all!
- The rearfoot area is crafted to be soft underneath your heel while stabilizing your ankle with a plush collar. You’ll feel locked in and secure without any uncomfortable rubbing or tightness.
- The Clifton 9 has the American Podiatric Medical (APMA) Seal of Acceptance, which means that a team of doctors specializing in foot health agree that the Clifton 9 is great for your feet!
The HOKA Clifton 9 is available for men and women in store and online.
Best Sneakers and Slip-On Shoes for Walking
Best Vionic Slip-On Shoe for Walking: Women’s Vionic Kimmie
It’s no secret that we love Vionic shoes here at Stan’s (We even opened a whole Vionic Store!). When you try on the Women’s Kimmie, you’ll instantly understand the hype.
Here’s what we love about the Kimmie:
- It features Vionic’s patented 3-Zone Comfort, which includes stability in the heel, arch support in the midfoot, and comfort in the forefoot.
- The footbed is removable, so you can add in your own insoles or orthotics for extra comfort.
- It comes in two fashionable styles: The Kimmie, which features a smooth suede upper, or the Kimmie Perf, which adds patterned perforations for extra flair.
Best Aetrex Walking Shoe: Women’s Aetrex Carly
Aetrex makes some of the healthiest shoes you can buy without sacrificing style. We especially love the Women’s Carly Sneaker for walking all day long.
Here’s what we love about the Carly:
- It features Aetrex’s built-in orthotic system, which includes arch support that relieves foot pain and keeps your feet properly aligned.
- The upper is a stretchy knit material, making it lightweight and flexible. As an added bonus, it’s machine washable!
- The insole is treated with antimicrobial technology that helps eliminate odors from sweat, so it’s perfect for walking in the heat.
The Aextrex Carly Arch Support Sneaker is available for women in store or online.
Best ECCO Walking Shoe: Men’s ECCO Offroad Cruiser
ECCO is well-known for their walking sandals (see below!), but they also make excellent walking shoes for men. One of our favorites this year is the Men’s ECCO Offroad Cruiser.
Here’s what we love about the Offroad Cruiser:
- ECCO’s trademarked RECEPTOR Technology alternates areas of stability and flexibility throughout the shoe, which provides dynamic support that adapts to every step.
- The midsole is crafted to anatomically shape to your foot, plus you can customize the fit further by adjusting the heel straps. Elastic lacing also makes it easy to slip on and off.
- The rubber outsole provides great traction that will last mile after mile, even on tough trails or throughout days with high step counts.
The ECCO Offroad Cruiser is available for men in store or online.
Best Sandals for Walking
Best ECCO Sandal for Walking: ECCO Yucatan
Year after year, the ECCO Yucatan is one of our best-selling walking sandals. It’s athletic style and total functionality make it a great choice to wear everywhere you step.
Here’s what we love about the Yucatan:
- It’s supremely adjustable with three straps that you can alter to your liking: one above the forefoot, one above the midfoot, and one around the heel.
- The lightweight EVA footbed has a soft microfiber cover that enhances stability and provides ultimate cushioning. Combined with durable midsole foam, the comfort of each step is unmatched.
- Stan’s carries over half a dozen colors for both men and women, so you can choose the design that best matches your summer style.
The ECCO Yucatan is available for men and women in store or online.
Best Birkenstock Sandal for Walking: Birkenstock Arizona
Chances are, you already know about Birkenstock (and might already love it!). But did you know that Birkenstock is just as functional as it is fashionable? We highly recommend Birkenstock styles like the Arizona for all your walking needs.
Here’s what we love about the Birkenstock Arizona:
- Birkenstock’s signature cork-latex footbeds mold to the shape of your feet to provide support where you need it most. Cork is also well-known to be sustainable, insulating, and well-cushioned.
- The outsole is made of EVA, which is a lightweight and elastic material that smooths your steps and provides additional cushioning.
- The Arizona has many other styles than just the classic. Try out the Arizona EVA, Arizona Soft Footbed, Arizona Vegan, Arizona Big Buckle, and more as you choose which one is right for you.
The Birkenstock Arizona is available for men and women in store and online.
Best Keen Sandal for Walking: Men’s Keen Newport H2
Keen makes high-quality shoes and sandals for every outdoor-lover.You can take on any adventure in styles like the men’s Newport H2 Sandal, which has been Keen’s #1 bestseller for years!
Here’s what we love about the Newport H2:
- The bungee lacing system makes it easy to get a snug fit that won’t come loose throughout the day. Plus, it’s naturally constructed with plenty of room for your toes in the forefoot and a secure fit around the heel.
- The toe bumper protects your toes from debris that you may encounter, especially when hiking or enjoying other nature adventures.
- Wet terrain is no problem because of its quick-dry webbing and lining. This comes with the added bonus of making the sandal machine washable!
The Keen Newport H2 is available for men in store or online.
Best Teva Sandal for Walking: Women’s Teva Tirra
Teva is an up-and-coming brand that provides shoes for all your outdoor adventures. One of our favorite Teva styles for women is the Tirra Sandal.
Here’s what we love about the Tirra:
- This sandal provides great stability even on uneven ground. Its nylon shank unobtrusively stabilizes your foot, and a cushioned Shoc Pad™ in the heel protects your joints by absorbing impact.
- The Rugged Spider Rubber outsole provides great traction in wet and dry conditions.
- The Tirra is made from recycled plastic and is made with only synthetic and plant-based materials. You can enjoy the earth while feeling good about your impact on it.
The Teva Tirra Sandal for women is available in store or online.
Where to Buy Walking Shoes and Sandals in Milwaukee
For all of your walking needs, come visit Stan’s Fit For Your Feet in Brookfield, Greenfield, and Glendale! In addition to these ten great styles, we have hundreds of other athletic shoes, walking sneakers and slip-ons, and walking sandals.
Our Fit Specialists will help you pick out the right shoe for you when you shop in store, or enjoy the convenience of shopping 24/7 online at stansfootwear.com.
Wherever you walk, you’ll get there in comfort and style when you shop at Stan’s!